Aligning an Orion SkyQuest Intelliscope
Aligning the Telescope Tip: The telescope must be aligned on two stars which must be chosen by the user. Try to select stars which are widely spaced in the sky and preferably not directly overhead. Polaris is also not recommended.
- 1. Point the telescope vertically until it reaches the stop. Press ENTER.
- 2. Use the Up/Down keys to select an alignment star from the list. Do NOT press ENTER yet.
- 3. Slowly move the telescope to put the star in the finderscope. Be sure not to move the telescope too quickly or the encoders will not be able to read the position of the telescope.
- 4. Center the star in the finderscope
- 5. Center the star in the eyepiece. Press ENTER.
- 6. Use the Up/Down keys to select a second alignment star from the list
- 7. Slowly move the telescope to put the star in the finderscope
- 8. Center the star in the finderscope
- 9. Center the star in the eyepiece. Press ENTER
- 10. The hand controller will display a "warp factor" that will tell you how accurate the alignment was. The number should be between W = -0.5and W = +0.5. If the number is outside this range, turn the controller off and begin again. If the number is within this range, the telescope is now successfully aligned. The hand controller will read "Select Target."
- 1. Select a catalog using the numeric keypad. For example, button 1 selects the Messier (M) catalog, button 2 selects the NGC catalog, etc.
- 2. Enter the catalog number using the numeric keypad. Messier objects require 3 digits, and NGC objects require 4 digits. For example, if you want to see M13, enter 013. For NGC253, enter 0253.
- 3. To select a planet, press button 7. You will then need to enter the date. Use the Up/Down keys to select the month. Press ENTER. Use the Up/Down buttons to select the desired planet.
- 4. After selecting an object, press ENTER.
- 5. The telescope will display the direction and distance to the object in each axis. For example, it might display 72→ 25↑, indicating that the object is 72° to the right and 25° up.
- 6. Slowly move the telescope in the direction indicated and the numbers will begin to decrease. Once both numbers read zero, the telescope is pointed at the object.