Balance the telescope. For help with this, see the Balancing a Telescope section.
Polar align the telescope mount. Only a fairly accurate alignment should be necessary. For help with this, see the Polar Alignment section.
Lock the clutch lever on each axis before beginning the alignment.
Aligning the Telescope
1. Press 5 to skip the sun warning
2. Press ENTER to begin alignment
3. Enter the current date. Use the arrow keys to change the month and the keypad to enter numbers. Press ENTER.
4. Enter the current time using the keypad. Use the arrow keys to select AM/PM. Press ENTER.
5. Select Yes or No for Daylight Savings Time. Press ENTER.
If you have already entered an observing site and telescope model, skip to step 9.
6. Select your country or state from the list. Press ENTER.
7. Select the nearest city from the list. Choosing a city within 50 miles is sufficient. Press ENTER.
8. Select your telescope model from the list and press ENTER.
9. Press ENTER for Align: Easy
10. Use the arrow keys to move the telescope so it is pointed north and is directly above the mount. Press ENTER.
The telescope will search for first alignment star, then point to that star in the sky. The selected star will be the brightest near where the scope is pointed.
11. Press 7 to set the telescope to 1.5°/sec slew speed
12. Use the arrow keys to center the star in the finderscope
13. Press 5 to set the telescope to 64x slew speed
14. Use the arrow keys to center the star in the eyepiece, press ENTER
The telescope will search for second alignment star, then point to that star in the sky
15. Press 7 to set the telescope to 1.5°/sec slew speed
16. Use the arrow keys to center the star in the finderscope
17. Press 5 to set the telescope to 64x slew speed
18. Use the arrow keys to center the star in the eyepiece, press ENTER
The hand controller will now display “Alignment successful.” The telescope is now aligned.
Selecting Objects from the Catalog
1. Press ENTER to select OBJECTS
2. Use the Up and Down buttons to select Catalog (Solar System, Messier, etc.), press ENTER
3. Select object from catalog by using Arrow keys to select from list or enter number using keypad
4. Press ENTER to select object
5. Press GOTO to send telescope to that object
6. Press MODE to return to previous menus