When the designers at Explore Scientific set their sights on creating a top-quality apochromatic refractor that anyone would be proud to own, they decided on a traditional air-spaced triplet optical design in a rugged, adjustable lens cell. All materials had to be top-notch, so genuine Hoya extra-low dispersion (ED) Dense Fluor Crown (FCD1) glass was chosen, and then experienced craftsmen shaped and polished the elements that would form the foundation of a high-quality, true APO refractor.
All Explore Scientific Air-Spaced Triplet APO Refractors are diffraction-limited at .25PV or better. Special EMD™ enhanced multi-layer coatings are deposited on all optical surfaces, and the result is bright, high contrast images with virtually no light scatter. Interferometic data on your newly purchased and registered Explore apochromatic refractor is available upon request after 6 months of ownership. Time restrictions apply; please contact Customer Service for more information.
While optics are definitely the most important component of any telescope, other features, like the focuser and the optical tube, play a crucial role in the design. Below you will find highlights on all of the ingredients used to create Explore Scientific Triplet APO refractors, including a very liberal warranty that speaks volumes about the confidence we have in our telescopes!
Explore ED102 Carbon Fiber Air-Spaced Triplet Highlights...
- The carbon fiber optical tube of the ED102 Triplet is strong, yet lightweight.
- Explore Scientific Air-Spaced Apochromatic Triplets have true APO optic and are diffraction limited at .25PV or better
- Genuine ED glass from Hoya Japan is used on all ED APO Triplets at Explore, for superb quality and light throughput
- Enhanced Multi-Layer Coatings (EMD) are deposited on optical elements to boost contrast and eliminate light scatter; and contrast is further enhanced with the installation of matte black knife-edge baffles in the optical tube assembly.
- While refractors seldom require additional collimation after initial factory adjustment, the lens cell design allows for consumer collimation. Sending your ED102 Triplet off to the factory is always an option, but is not required.
- 102mm models come with a heavy-duty 2" dual-speed rotatable focuser, including 2 draw tube extensions.
- To attach your Explore Scientific Air-Spaced Triplet telescope to a variety of mounts, we have included the "Vixen-style" dovetail. The "Vixen-style" plate fits mounts made by Explore, Meade, Celestron, Vixen & others.
- All Explore Scientific products come with a STAR Extended-Life-of-the-Product Warranty. Upon registration, this product will be under warranty for as long as it is manufactured, plus five years.
The Critical Element: Optics
Explore Scientific uses ED (Extra-low Dispersion) FCD1 (Dense Fluor Crown) glass developed and manufactured by Hoya Optical of Japan. Using the right glass with the appropriate properties enables the production of lenses that offer superior sharpness and color correction.
The optics used in Explore Scientific ED Air-Spaced Triplet refractors are truly diffraction-limited at .25PV or better. As a privilege of ownership, those who wish to obtain a copy of their interferometric data can request it up to 90 days after registration of their ED Triplet telescope by contacting the Explore Scientific Customer Service Department.
2" 99% Reflective Dielectric-Coated Diagonal
The purpose of a diagonal is to securely hold your eyepiece and to give you a comfortable viewing angle.
Provided as standard equipment, Explore Scientific's 2", 99% Reflective, Dielectric-Coated Diagonal incorporates a light-weight, one-piece diagonal body that securely cradles the precision polished diagonal flat mirror, insuring precision alignment.
Deluxe Two-Speed FocuserOn pristine nights of steady seeing, Saturn's Rings can forever affect the hearts and minds of almost anyone who lays eyes on them. It's nights like these that astronomers like to set up their refractors and push the magnification to the limits, not only to see the magnificence of the planet at greater scale but to really test the optical and mechanical quality of the telescope.
Many telescopes are only supplied with a standard single-speed focuser, you will find that a tiny nudge will throw out focus and turn your night into one of frustration.
So we included as standard equipment, on all Explore Scientific ED Series, a Dual-speed focuser with tension adjustment and lock to obtain and hold perfect focus. We think you'll agree that such precision is worth it.
EMD (Enhanced Multi-layer Deposition) Coatings eliminates light scatter and maintains high image contrast. This proprietary coating is applied to all Explore Scientific lenses in multiple layers for added durability.
Contrast is further enhanced by the installation of multiple baffles in the optical tube that mask and deflect unwanted stray light.
Explore STAR Warranty
For as long as Explore Scientific manufactures a product it is under warranty, no matter how many times it is sold or traded to another individual. And when Explore Scientific stops manufacturing a given model (referred to as the end of the Life of the Product), they will extend the warranty automatically for another five years.