Top > Telescope Accessories > Other Accessories > Sky Quality Meter|
Sky Quality Meter
Sky Quality Meter Description
Finally, an affordable meter for measuring sky brightness for astronomers!
The "Sky Quality Meter" measures the brightness of the night sky in magnitudes
per square arcsecond. Unprecedented sensitivity in a handheld meter!
Designed by Dr. Doug Welch and Anthony Tekatch.
- Find out how good the night or site REALLY is.
- Compare the sky brightness at different sites quantitatively.
- Document the evolution of light pollution in your area.
- Set planetarium dome illumination to mimic the skies people are likely to
experience elsewhere in the city.
- Monitor sky brightness through the night, night-to-night, and
- Determine which nights show the greatest promise for finding the 'faintest
- Calibrate the effect of sky brightness on qualitative measures such as the
- Investigate how sky brightness correlates with the solar cycle and
month-to-month sunspot activity.
- Help provide local ground truth for future sky brightness prediction with
the Clear Sky Clock.
- CCD users can make a correlation between the SQM reading and when the
background reaches some ADC level.
- Audible signal while measurement is in progress.
- Sky brightness displayed in visual magnitudes per square arcsecond.
- Infrared blocking filter restricts measurement to visual bandpass.
- Temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit as well as model number and
serial number can be displayed with different button press sequence.
- Precision readings at even the darkest sites.
- Power-saving features designed in for maximum battery life.
- Reverse battery protection.
- Operates from 9V battery (included).
- Size 3.8 x 2.4 x 1 in.
- Maximum light sampling time: 8 0 seconds.
- Specifications are subject to change without notice.
Copyright ©2000-2013 Starizona
Adventures In Astronomy & Nature, All rights reserved
5757 N. Oracle Rd., Suite 103 · Tucson, Arizona 85704 · Call Us: (520) 292-5010
Map & Directions -