Take your own pictures of the Sun, Moon and planets with Orion's 1.3-megapixel Solar System Imager
- Orion's fourth generation planetary imaging camera provides an ideal way to acquire stunning images of our neighbors in the solar system
- Features a 1/3" format color CMOS imaging chip with a very small 3.6microns x 3.6microns pixel size for exceptional resolution
- Progressive scan imaging uses all pixels for each exposure
- 1280 x 1024 pixel layout; 1.3 megapixel resolution
- Features a 1.25" nosepiece threaded for 1.25" filters
-imaging is an immensely rewarding hobby, but the challenges involved can seem difficult to beginners. Some of the best objects to start on are the planets of our own solar system and the Moon. Big, bright targets like Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and the Moon make wonderful models as they strut their way around the Sun on their celestial catwalk. The planets are relatively easy to locate and identify in the night sky, so solar system objects prime imaging targets for all astro-imagers.
The Orion StarShoot Solar System Color Imager IV is equipped with features that make it easy to take your own images of objects in our solar system. Its 1/3-inch format CMOS imaging sensor with a 1280 x 1024 pixel layout can take sharply detailed planetary and lunar images. Each pixel is a mere 3.6µm x 3.6µm in size for exceptional image resolution in 24-bit RGB color. Since the 8-bit output StarShoot Solar System Color Imager IV is progressive scan, all pixels will be used for each and every exposure. At full 1280 x 1024 resolution, you can capture up to 15 frames per second. By stacking multiple exposures to create a single picture, you can increase image detail significantly.
The Imager's 1.25-inch nosepiece is threaded for 1.25-inch filters, so you can use astro-imaging filters and color visual filters to enhance your shots. The StarShoot Solar System Color Imager IV features an integrated IR-cut filter to block both ultraviolet and infrared light. These wavelengths of light can degrade image quality, so by blocking them, the IR-cut filter helps to optimize contrast in all your images.
The included Orion AmCap software provides the means to capture images in the popular AVI movie format which are downloaded to your computer through its high speed USB 2.0 connection with the included 58-inch long USB cable. Website links are provided in the launcher to download popular free image processing software to be used with your AVI files to further enhance your astro-images. Image processing software allows you to align and stack (combine) hundreds of individual images into a single resultant image and perform additional image processing to bring out subtle details or to make the image appear more pleasing overall.
Get the StarShoot Solar System Color Imager IV and take your own shot of the Moon and planets!
- Imaging sensor: 1.3MP Micron Color CMOS sensor
- Imaging sensor size: 1/3in.
- Pixel array: 1280 x 1024 (1,310,720 total)
- Pixel size: 3.6 x 3.6
- Imaging chip: Single Shot Color
- Video frame rate: Up to 15 Frames per second at 1280 x 1024
- Autoguider capability: No
- A/D conversion: 8 bit
- Thermoelectric cooling: No
- IR filter: Yes
- Mounting: 1.25in. nozzle
- USB connection: High-speed 2.0 and 1.1
- Software compatibility: Windows XP/Vista/7
- Warranty: One year