This focal reducer has been custom-designed to match the excellent optical performance of the Hyperion astrograph. It retains a large, flat field, free from aberrations. In fact, performance is diffraction-limited over a full 52mm field of view.
With nearly 4 inches of backfocus, the Hyperion focal reducer works with a variety of camera setups, including:
- Apogee Alta Series
- Apogee Alta Series with FW50 filter wheel
- Apogee Alta Series with FW50 and MonsterMOAG guider*
- FLI Proline
- FLI Proline with FLI CFW
- QSI 500 Series
- SBIG ST Series
- SBIG STL Series
- SBIG STL Series with FW8 filter wheel
- SBIG STL Series with FW8 and MonsterMOAG guider
- SBIG STX Series
- Starlight Xpress SXVR
- And many more...
The focal reducer converts the f/8 Hyperion astrograph to an f/6 system, making it over 70% faster. The reducer is designed to cover a 52mm image circle, corresponding to the diagonal size of the popular KAF-16803 large-format CCD sensor. Large (76mm) lens elements keep the vignetting to less than 15% over the 52mm field.
The Hyperion focal reducer threads onto the end of the telescope's standard Feathertouch 3.5" focuser, in place of the normal end cap. A 3" flange forms the standard camera attachment. The Apogee Alta series with Apogee FW50 and Astrodon MonsterMOAG bolts directly to the flange*. Other cameras require alternate adapters or spacers to keep the backfocus correct and keep the performance nominal. Adapters are available for a variety of cameras.
Hyperion 12.5" Specifications with Focal Reducer
- Focal Ratio: f/6.1
- Focal Length: 1950mm
- Optimal Field of View: 52mm (1.56 degrees)
- Total Backfocus (from lens to focal plane) = 96mm
- Average RMS Spot Diameter (52mm FOV): 5.9 microns
- Fully AR coated, less than 0.5% reflectance over 400-700nm
- Weight (with standard 3" flange): 1.95 lbs (885g)
RMS Spot Size vs. Field
First Light Image
LRGB = 120:30:30:30 minutes with Apogee U16M camera
Made in USA
* The Alta D09 high-cooling body from Apogee has a longer backfocus than the standard D07 body, so it will work with either the FW50 or the MonsterMOAG, but not with both.
View the instruction manual for this product