The new Atik 383L+ is an 8 Megapixel camera using the Kodak KAF-8300 CCD. Over the last few months a huge amount has been written about this CCD, justifying its place in astronomer’s hearts. We can sum it up succinctly by saying it’s a fabulous CCD with a huge number of good-sized pixels that is currently available at an irresistible price. This sensor should redefine mid-range astro-imaging, making multi-megapixel, cooled cameras much more accessible.
So what of ATIK’s implementation? In the past ATIK has prided itself on providing cameras with the very highest image quality but at reasonable cost--they see no reason to change. They have built on the success of the very highly regarded ATIK Platform 3 to support Kodak’s KAF-8300. This immediately offers a huge number of advantages including the very low read-noise circuits and the reliability from using this established design.
The camera can be used with either the EFW-U or the new EFW2 and Off Axis Guider (coming soon). For focal ratios of f/5 and above, standard 1.25 inch filters can be used without vignetting. Faster focal ratios will need flat-field correction or 36mm filters.
- 8.3 Million 5.4µm square pixels for high-resolution imaging
- Ultra low read-noise for great sensitivity
- Lightweight - no flexure of the telescope focuser tube
- Highly efficient setpoint cooling to 40 degrees max below ambient
- Great software for image acquisition and pre-processing
- Memory Buffer to reduce readout artifacts
- High-Quality mechanical shutter
- Externally accessible dessicant plugs
What’s included in the box?
- camera body with 1.25” adaptor
- 3 meter USB cable
- 1.8 meter battery power connector (with car lighter plug)
- universal (110-230V) power adaptor is included
- CD-ROM with drivers, software and user manual (PDF)
- quick start guide (printed)
ATIK's highly acclaimed Capture software is included for camera control and data acquisition, and plug-ins are included to allow use with Astroart, CCDSoft, and MaximDL.
System requirements: Pentium II PC with 64MB RAM, Windows 98/XP/Vista, CD-ROM drive and USB 2.0 port.
- Sensor Type: CCD - KAF-8300
- Horizontal Resolution: 3362 pixels
- Vertical Resolution: 2504 pixels
- Pixel Size: 5.40 µM x 5.40 µM
- ADC: 16 bit
- Readout Noise: 7 e-
- Interface: USB 2.0 High Speed
- Power: 12v DC 0.55A
- Maximum Exposure Length: Unlimited
- Minimum Exposure Length: 3/10 s
- Guide Port: ST-4 compatible
- Cooling: Thermoelectric set point with max DeltaT=-40°C
- Backfocus Distance: 17mm
- Thread on front of camera: T-Thread (M42x0.75)
- Dimensions: 112mm x 112mm, 79mm deep
- Weight: approx. 700 gr